The facts
- Location
- Tokyo (東京都) · Kanto region
- Founded
- 1960
- Coordinates
- 35.71111, 139.79639
- Official site
- senso-ji.jp
- Reference
- Japanese Wikipedia · Q2378708
Kaminarimon (雷門) is the mountain gate (sanmon) of Senso-ji in Asakusa, Taito, Tokyo. It stands at Asakusa 1-chome 2–3 and faces Kaminarimon-dori. The gate is a red-lacquered mountain gate with guardian sculptures on either side and a very large hanging lantern in the centre; the reverse of the lantern bears the gate’s formal name, Furaijinmon.
Seasons and ceremonial changes
The gate’s appearance is not fixed through the year: the large lantern is folded away for some ceremonial and safety reasons. When portable shrines are carried through the temple — during the Sanja Festival — the Kaminarimon lantern and the lantern at Hozomon are folded. In cases of approaching typhoons or other natural disasters, all three of Senso-ji’s large lanterns (Kaminarimon, Hozomon and the main hall lantern) are folded to protect them.
What you will see: gate, gods and the great lantern
Facing the gate, the wind god (Fujin) is placed on the right and the thunder god (Raijin) on the left. The gate itself is painted vermilion and has a central hanging lantern that has become an unmistakable visual marker of Asakusa. The present lantern measures 3.9 metres in height and 3.3 metres in diameter; recent-generation lanterns weigh about 700 kilograms. The lantern’s lower rim carries a metal nameplate reading “Matsushita Electric,” a relic of the company that donated the lantern used at the time of the 1960 rebuilding.
A concise timeline
According to tradition, Kaminarimon and the temple’s Nio Gate (now Hozomon) were founded in Tenkei 5 (942). The name “Kaminarimon” came into common use in the Edo period; contemporary verse of that era refers to the wind god at the gate. Some documents treat the gate built in Kanei 12 (1635) as the origin of the present name. The gate was rebuilt repeatedly during the Edo period and was depicted by artists such as Utagawa Hiroshige.
Records held by the temple indicate that a large lantern was hung at the gate in the Kansei era (1795). The last major fire recorded before modern times occurred on December 14, 1866 (Keio 1); after that event a permanent architectural gate was absent for almost a century. From the Meiji era through the post-war period temporary and event-driven structures appeared at the site — using iron, concrete or other materials and sometimes erected as part of expositions or victory commemorations. In 1904 the gate was built temporarily as a triumphal arch. The neighbourhood adopted the gate’s name: in 1924 the surrounding area became known as “Asakusa Kaminarimon,” and when Tobu Railway opened a station in 1931 it initially used the name “Asakusa Kaminarimon.”
The present reinforced-concrete gate opened with a ceremony on May 3, 1960. Construction work began in 1959 after a request for cooperation the previous year, and the reconstruction was funded by Konosuke Matsushita, founder of Matsushita Electric Industrial (now Panasonic Holdings). Major renovations to the concrete gate take place on roughly ten-year cycles.
The great lantern: making, makers and renewals
The large lantern at Kaminarimon is hand-made using traditional materials and specialist workshops. The framework is made from bamboo sourced in Kameoka, Kyoto Prefecture; the paper is 100% kozo (mulberry) washi from Fukui Prefecture, assembled from around 300 sheets. Decorative metal rings are fixed to the top and bottom, and the underside carries a dragon carving inherited from the very first lantern.
Since 1971 the lanterns have been produced by Takahashi Lantern in Kyoto’s Shimogyo Ward. Lanterns are replaced on an approximately ten-year cycle. Because of their size they cannot pass through some highway toll booths, so each new lantern is transported by large special truck on general roads from Kyoto to Tokyo — a journey that takes two days. Notable recent renewals include a larger lantern for the 2003 Edo 400th anniversary, a fifth replacement in 2013, and a sixth replacement in 2020; the 2020 renewal included, for the first time, replacement of the metal fittings and the planned dedication was cancelled because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Location, cultural presence and visual identity
The gate’s official postal block is Asakusa 1-chome 2–3 in Taito Ward, and it faces Kaminarimon-dori. The red gate, the guardian deities and the vast central lantern have made Kaminarimon a visual shorthand for Asakusa and, more broadly, for Tokyo and Japan in promotional images: photographs and designs of the gate and its lantern are frequently used in foreign-language tourist pamphlets, on souvenirs and in reliefs.
Conservation, surviving details and craftsmanship
The guardian statues at the gate reflect layers of the gate’s turbulent history: the heads are surviving pieces from Edo-period sculptures that were grafted onto bodies made in the Meiji period. The current reinforced-concrete gate, and the cycles of replacement for the lantern, reflect a pattern of stewardship combining private donation (notably the 1960 reconstruction funded by Konosuke Matsushita) and ongoing artisan craft — particularly the Takahashi workshop’s manufacture and the careful transport that each new lantern requires.
FAQ
- How large is the central lantern?
- The lantern is 3.9 metres tall and 3.3 metres in diameter.
- When did the present gate open?
- The reinforced-concrete gate had its opening ceremony on May 3, 1960.
- Who funded the 1960 reconstruction?
- Konosuke Matsushita, founder of Matsushita Electric Industrial (now Panasonic Holdings), donated the reconstruction funds and the lantern.
- When was the last recorded major fire before modern rebuilding?
- The last fire was on December 14, 1866 (Keio 1).