The facts
- Location
- Nagasaki (長崎県) · Kyushu region
- Founded
- 1877
- Coordinates
- 32.77616, 129.86839
- Reference
- Japanese Wikipedia · Q571980
Urakami Cathedral (カトリック浦上教会) sits on a small hill in Nagasaki’s Urakami district and serves a parish whose patron is the Immaculate Conception. The sanctuary is widely known by its older name, Urakami Cathedral. The community counts about 7,000 faithful, and by building and membership it is the largest Catholic church in Japan. Since 1 January 1962 the church has been the cathedral (the archdiocesan seat) of the Catholic Nagasaki Archdiocese.
Parish and administration
The church functions as both a parish and the seat of the local archdiocese. The congregation remained active immediately after 1945: survivors organised Sunday worship and the parish mounted a reconstruction drive in the 1950s. Parishioners formed the Urakami Cathedral Rebuilding Committee to raise funds and carry out the work that led to the present sanctuary, completed in 1959. The cathedral’s parish facilities include a believers’ hall where objects recovered during rebuilding are displayed.
Architecture and interior: original and rebuilt
Sited almost facing west on the Urakami hill, the exterior follows Romanesque forms. The original main building, completed and dedicated on 17 March 1914 after nineteen years of construction, was a brick structure with tile roof; in May 1925 twin bell towers were added to the front, with Yosuke Tetsukawa responsible for the contract work. The 1945 atomic blast destroyed the structure; the rebuilt sanctuary, completed in reinforced concrete and finished in mortar, sought to reproduce the prewar massing but differs in detail. The twin towers completed after the war are roughly five metres lower than before, and the façade was simplified during a 1980 renovation that applied brick tiles.
Internally the prewar cathedral had a three-aisle plan with ribbed-vaulted ceilings. The postwar rebuild adopted a single-aisle plan with a ceiling fashioned to resemble rib vaulting. The present Stations of the Cross are wall murals by Nakata Hidekazu, an artist from Kamigoto who specialised in Catholic works.
9 August 1945 — destruction and immediate aftermath
On 9 August 1945 the B-29 that dropped the plutonium implosion device known as “Fat Man” detonated over Matsuyama-machi; Urakami Cathedral, about 500 metres from the hypocentre, was completely destroyed. Only portions of exterior walls remained; the nave and most interior fabric were lost. The blast struck at a time when many faithful had gathered for confession in advance of the Feast of the Assumption on 15 August, and the parish priests and congregants who were in the building were killed. The wider Urakami area suffered heavy losses: an estimated 3,200 parishioners died in the bombed district. American wartime reporting included statements that the cathedral had been used as an ammunition store.
In the months that followed, surviving parishioners continued worship where they could. In November 1945 priests were dispatched from Ōura Church to assist, and on 23 November about 300 Urakami faithful held a joint memorial for the parish’s atomic-bomb dead — recorded in the local narrative as the start of organized remembrance for the victims.
Reconstruction, removals and the preservation debate (1946–1959)
After the war, the site became the focus of a prolonged dispute between those who sought to preserve the ruin as an atomic-bomb relic and those who pressed to rebuild the cathedral on its original ground. In May 1946 rubble was cleared and a provisional place of worship established; at the request of preservation groups some ruined exterior walls were temporarily left in situ. On 15 December 1946 a larger temporary wooden church (171 tsubo, single-storey) with capacity for 2,000 was completed and a thanksgiving Mass held with Nagasaki Prefectural Governor S?jiro Sugiyama attending.
The later debate intensified in 1958. The city council passed a resolution on 18 February asking that the ruins be preserved; the mayor met the local bishop and requested retention of the remains on 26 February. The rebuilding committee and the parish, however, insisted the cathedral be rebuilt on the historic site: the land had significance from the period of persecution when local faithful had been forced to perform “fumi-e” and had been acquired by parishioners after the lifting of the ban on Christianity in the Meiji era. Demolition of most ruins began on 14 March 1958; the council then authorised moving only part of the wreckage. On 11 July 1958 a fragment of the façade was relocated to Peace Park and conserved (a side wall restored to a height of 13 metres and width of 3 metres). The replacement cathedral, built to echo the old exterior, was completed on 1 November 1959.
Survivals, preserved artifacts and later commemorations
Although most of the original fabric was removed, several objects and fragments survive and are displayed or preserved in different locations. A section of the north bell tower that had been blown some 30 metres north of the main building remains on land near the site; it is the only part of the original main body preserved in place and has been classified by Nagasaki City at the highest A rank for atomic-bomb buildings. The large bell that remained almost intact was rung for Christmas Mass on 24 December 1945 and later entered popular memory through Dr. Nagai Takashi’s writings and the film and song “The Bells of Nagasaki”; it is used in ceremonies remembering the atomic victims.
The bombed Madonna statue installed on the 1929 altar had its head discovered among the rubble by Father Noguchi; it passed through Trappist custody and private safekeeping before being returned to Urakami in 1990. The statue visited the Vatican in 1985 and again in 2010, receiving a blessing from Pope Benedict XVI on the second visit; since 9 August 2005 the original Madonna has been on public display in a small chapel modelled on the old altar. A crucifix found by US troops and taken to Wilmington University’s Peace Resource Center was returned to Urakami in August 2019; in September 2022 Urakami provided a replica to that centre. The St Agnes statue that survived the blast (though missing its right hand at the time) was lent to a 1982 United Nations exhibition on nuclear threat and remained on public display there as of 2024; a replica and reproductions of the cathedral wall appear in the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum. In 2004 restoration work reconstructed the statue’s missing hand and sword grip.
In recent decades the cathedral has also been a site of papal and civic attention: Pope John Paul II visited and celebrated Mass at Urakami on 25 February 1981 (he ordained priests there during the visit), and a bust of the pope was installed at the right-hand side of the entrance the following year. Pope Francis visited Nagasaki in 2019 but did not visit Urakami Cathedral; when he died in 2025 a memorial service was held at Urakami. In 2025 a restored small bell, donated by American academics, was blessed and installed on 17 July and sounded together with the large bell at 11:02 on 9 August 2025 to mark the 80th anniversary.
Access and neighbouring sites
Urakami Cathedral is reached from Urakami Station on the JR Kyushu Nagasaki Main Line — by car or taxi it is about a 5-minute drive. From the Nagasaki Electric Tramway the Heiwa-Koen (Peace Park) tram stop is about an 8-minute walk. Local bus services (Nagasaki Prefectural Bus and Nagasaki Bus) call at the “Urakami Tenshudo-mae” stop, a one-minute walk from the church. The cathedral sits immediately adjacent to a cluster of Catholic institutions (the archbishop’s residence, a Catholic centre and seminary) and close to Peace Park, the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum and the hypocentre memorials.
FAQ
- When was Urakami Cathedral destroyed?
- It was completely destroyed by the atomic bomb on 9 August 1945.
- When was the current cathedral building completed?
- The rebuilt cathedral was completed on 1 November 1959.
- How large is the parish today?
- The parish counts about 7,000 faithful and is the largest Catholic congregation and building in Japan.
- What relics from the original cathedral survive?
- Surviving items include a fragment of the north bell tower preserved nearby, the large bell, the bombed Madonna statue (returned in 1990 and on display since 9 August 2005), and other objects kept in a parish exhibition; a bomb-damaged crucifix was returned from the United States in August 2019.